Saturday 13 October 2012

Again : a wall with Opus Spicatum

In a book about Cluny, which I regularly consult, I had found reference to a church called Saint-Mayeul, dedicated to the 4th abbot of Cluny, the predecessor of Saint-Odilon.

The remains of the church Saint-Mayeul in Cluny

The book is called “Cluny en 200 questions/réponses”, written by Gérard Thélier, a colourful and well known inhabitant of Cluny who knows a lot about Cluny's history. The description of the church was brief : the only remaining wall of the church is visible from the road behind Tour Saint-Mayeul. Fortunately there was a photograph of the wall, so at least I knew I did not have to look for a low garden wall. The website le site sur l'Art Roman en Bourgogne mentioned the church, but had no pictures available.
Armed with my bible, and hence with a photograph, and knowing where to find the Tour Saint-Mayeul, on a fine day I went into Cluny.

The remains of the church Saint-Mayeul in Cluny

The tower was easy to find, it was opposite Cluny's cemetery. And indeed, the church wall is clearly visible from the Chemin des Trépassés. It is part of a private residence, and when I walked around the building it also seemed that the fortified walls of old Cluny were built against the house.
For all my pictures of this former church, click here.

After my visit to the former Sainte-Marie in Bonnay I feel like I am an expert in recognising "Opus Spicatum". That must be something typically Dutch, because every Dutchman who has ever eaten shawarma or hummus will adevertise him or herself as a Middle East expert!

Opus Spicatum - Saint Mayeul in Cluny

Practical information (courtesy of Eduard van Boxtel) :
Former church (ruin, habitation) Saint-Mayeul in Cluny, 10th century, 0*

For our own website, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.