Sunday 11 January 2015

The world is bigger than just Burgundy!

Some people are not very broadminded when it comes to their judgement of architecture, music, art, etc. In itself there is not much wrong with that stand point; it only becomes a bit of a menace when people try to inflict their taste on others.
Interesting in its own right!
I hope I am not so narrow minded when it comes to appreciating art. A good way to check that statement presented itself when I started digitalising my old slides. Over the years I had built up a collection of a good 10600 of those now almost obsolete pictures, taken in Europe, Asia and North-America. Whilst scanning however, I came across a far bigger number of Romanesque churches than I remembered having ever seen. And since it is nicer to share something than to keep it for oneself, I send a list of all my slides to the creator of "Bourgogne Romane”,who turned out to be interested in a number of my old slides. And again several of my pictures appeared on the webpage “L'Europe Romane”, a collection of more or less randomly chosen churches for which pictures were available.

Map of Europe
Other than the Burgundian pages, this page did not claim any form of completeness. It really was a subjective choice of the maker of this site, and not a choice based on the "best", the "best preserved" the "historically most interesting buildings in an area".
Colours per country
And since I am really keen on knowing where to find something (be it a town or a building) I decided to create still another map. In the mean time this map, which started off as just another thing to keep myself busy, has grown more than I thought it would. And even though there are still buildings being added, the map is roughly ready for use. And of course that requires a concise instruction for use. Well, here we go!

1. The pins have the same colour per country , hence lightblue is France, purple is Great Britain, etc.



Place names alphabetically
2. The place names are alphabetically ordered per country.














Typical entry
3. Each entry (hence each church or building) has at least one picture (the baptistère in Firenze e.g. has 3 pictures attached), in most cases copied from van Boxtels website, where possible however taken from my own stock in various Picasa Albums. If the latter is the case a link to the appropriate album is included. Also the accuracy of the location on the map is given : 100% is spot on, 50% means in the right town, but exact location unknown to me.


Two types of pins
4. On the maps I have used pins with a black spot for churches of which only van Boxtel possessed pictures, and pins without a black dot for buildings we both had pictures of.










Roma
5. To more or less complete the references to "Bourgogne Romane" a link has been provided to van Boxtel's separate pages "The ancient churches of Rome", "Pisan Romanesque Art" and "The ancient churches of Ravenna".















The region of Burgundy
6. In the centre of the 4 departments that make up the region of Burgundy the coat of arms of each deparrtment is displayed with reference to the detailed page of Bourgogne Romane and my detailed map of that department.







The link to the website of La Tuilerie de Chazelle can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.